As I went down the hill along the wall
There was a gate I had leaned at for the view
And had just turned from when I first saw you
As you came up the hill. We met. But all
We did that day was mingle great and small
Footprints in summer dust as if we drew
The figure of our being less than two
But more than one as yet. Your parasol
Pointed the decimal off with one deep thrust.
And all the time we talked you seemed to see
Something down there to smile at in the dust.
(Oh, it was without prejudice to me!)
Afterward I went past what you had passed
Before we met and you what I had passed.
Robert Frost
1920
Note: I referred to this poem many times throughout my posts, it's about time it takes its place in my blog. For some reason everybody knows about "The road not taken" but this beautiful poem by Robert Frost - which is also the very first poem that aroused my interest towards poetry in English- is not as well recognized.
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yes a beautiful poem. More people know 'The road not taken' because it is easier to understand, less obscure. This one which I haven't read before myself is a bit more complex though similar in tone.
ReplyDeleteYes, indeed. It's a bit ambigious and there are lots of symbols to analyze but I think that is what makes the poem beautiful; you have to put some effort into understanding it fully and it makes it worthwhile, just like relationships.
ReplyDelete